Priced each, sold in sets of 2
When you recycle a plastic bottle, you're doing something good. When you recycle 111 of them, you're doing something great. Help your bottle become something extraordinary again.
Introducing the 111 Navy Chair™
About four years ago, in 2006, Coca-Cola came to us at Emeco with a proposal. Their recycling plant in Spartanburg South Carolina was brand new and processing thousands of plastic bottles a day and they were looking for ways to show the value of recycled plastic. Everywhere else in the world people recycle about 80% of their bottles while in the US we recycled only about 20%.
Coke asked us to make the classic Navy Chair out of a new, unproven formulation of rPET (Recycled Polyethylene Terephthalate- recycled plastic bottles). They introduced us to the scientists at BASF the international chemical innovator and together we developed proprietary mix made of about 60% and a special combination of pigment combined with glass fiber for strength.
In Coke-Speak, "The goal of the 111 Navy project was to alter consumer behavior by illustrating the value of rPET with beautifully designed and everyday products - ultimately encouraging more recycling.
- Recycled polyethelene terephthalate
- Height: 86cm / 34 Inch
- Seat Height: 46cm / 18 Inch
- Width: 39cm / 15.5 Inch
- Depth: 50cm / 19.5 Inch
- The 111 Navy Chair™ is the result of a joint venture agreement between The Coca-Cola Company and Emeco, a leading furniture manufacturer.
- Each 111 Navy Chair™ is made with content from approximately 111 recycled plastic bottles.
- The material used in the production of the 111 Navy Chair™, known as rPET (recycled polyethelene terephthalate) plastic, is sourced from the world’s largest plastic bottle-to-bottle recycling plant. The plant, located in Spartanburg, South Carolina in the United States, was created through a partnership between The Coca-Cola Company and United Resource Recovery Corp.
- Approximately 3 million 20-ounce plastic bottles will be recycled annually for production of the chairs.
- The 111 Navy Chair™ will be manufactured at a molding facility in North Carolina, Untied States.
- The 111 Navy Chair™ debuted at the Milan Furniture Show, Salone Internazionale del Mobile, April 14-19, 2010.
- The 111 Navy Chair™ is inspired by the classic Emeco Navy Chair, designed in 1944 for the U.S. Navy. Emeco has sold more than one million of the all-aluminum Navy chairs since then.
- Seat Pad made of recycled PET with top surface in felt. Can be ordered with adhesive back. The seat pad is formed to match the iconic seat form used on Emeco chairs since 1944.
Make chairs lightweight and make them strong, build them for a lifetime. That is Emeco’s mission. Aluminum is the obvious choice, engineered for practical purposes, designed by real people. Forming, welding, grinding, heat-treating, finishing, anodizing are just a few of the 77 steps it takes to build an Emeco chair. No one else makes chairs this way. No one can. It takes a human eye to know when the process is done right, and it takes human hands to get it that way. Their goal: Make recycling obsolete and keep making things that last. In 2006 Coca-Cola and Emeco collaborated to solve an environmental problem: Up-cycling consumer waste into a sustainable, timeless, classic chair. Made of 111 recycled PET bottles, the 111 Navy Chair is a story of innovation. ModernPlanet offers the Navy chair in many fun colors and almost 100 other Emeco chairs and tables.