Mélange is the perfect combination of tradition and modernity, fashion and home, craft and design, past and future. The collection composed by 20 models symbolizes a blending of marked contradictions that work together, acting as complements. Thanks to the simplification of classic motifs such as geometric patterns and a pared color palette, the Mélange is a contemporary version of the Kilim. An exercise in aesthetic rationalization that upholds the ancestral handcrafted techniques of Pakistan. Combining coordinated poufs add a touch on the atmosphere that refers directly to the oriental culture in which everything is done almost at ground level. A giant patchwork effect is achieved by overlaying the Mélange rugs, perfect for decorative purposes and warmth.
- Fibre: 100% Hand spun Afghan wool.
- Technique: Hand woven
- Type: Kilim
- Mélange Zoom: 170 x 240 cm / 5 feet 7 inches x 7 feet 10 inches
- Mélange Zoom: 200 x 300 cm / 6 feet 7 inches x 9 feet 10 inches
- Mélange Zoom: 300 x 400 cm / 9 feet 10 inches x 13 feet 1 inches
- Mélange Stripes 1: 80 x 240 cm / 2 feet 8 inches x 7 feet 10 inches
- Mélange Stripes 1: 170 x 240 cm / 5 feet 7 inches x 7 feet 10 inches
- Mélange Stripes 1: 200 x 300 cm / 6 feet 7 inches x 9 feet 10 inches
- Mélange Stripes 2: 80 x 240 cm / 2 feet 8 inches x 7 feet 10 inches
- Mélange Color 1: 170 x 240 cm / 5 feet 7 inches x 7 feet 10 inches
- Mélange Color 1: 200 x 300 cm / 6 feet 7 inches x 9 feet 10 inches
- Mélange Color 2: 140 x 200 cm / 4 feet 7 inches x 6 feet 7 inches
- Mélange Color 3: 80 x 240 cm / 2 feet 8 inches x 7 feet 10 inches
- Mélange Pattern 1: 80 x 140 cm / 2 feet 8 inches x 4 feet 7 inches
- Mélange Pattern 1: 80 x 240 cm / 2 feet 8 inches x 7 feet 10 inches
- Mélange Pattern 1: 170 x 240 cm / 5 feet 7 inches x 7 feet 10 inches
- Mélange Pattern 2: 170 x 240 cm / 5 feet 7 inches x 7 feet 10 inches
- Mélange Pattern 3: 170 x 240 cm / 5 feet 7 inches x 7 feet 10 inches
- Mélange Pattern 4: 80 x 140 cm / 2 feet 8 inches x 4 feet 7 inches
- Mélange Pattern 4: 80 x 240 cm / 2 feet 8 inches x 7 feet 10 inches
- Mélange Pattern 5: 80 x 140 cm / 2 feet 8 inches x 4 feet 7 inches
- Mélange Pattern 5: 80 x 240 cm / 2 feet 8 inches x 7 feet 10 inches
- Antislide pad included
- Can be dry-cleaned
Nanimarquina is a textile design company based in Barcelona with manufacturing in India, Morocco, Pakistan and Spain. Primarily focused on floor coverings, Nanimarquina's desire to "make, live and offer design" is executed with a strong emphasis on fair trade and labour, sustainable development and contemporising traditional craftmanship. Focusing on area rugs, Nanimarquina has become a leader in the market - both by design standards and ethical business practices.
Nanimarquina's core values include: observation, innovation, emotion and communication. Drawing inspiration from raw materials and traditional techniques, owner/designer Nani Marquina has developed an impressive collection comprised of her own creations and those of internationally acclaimed designers. Ron Arad (Do-Lo-Rez), Ronan and Erwan Bouroullec (Losanges), Ana Mir & Emili Padros (Flying Carpet), and Tord Boontje (Little Field of Flowers) are just a few samples of talent working with Marquina. Ranging from the rustic and simplistic to modern and even politically charged, Nanimarquina truly offers something for every home and interest.
Nanimarquina has been recognized by several prestigious design and business excellence awards since its origins in 1987 including Spain's National Design Award, ICFF Editor's Awards and La Millor Botiga Del Mon (best 2010 business initiative, Barcelona) among many others. Nani Marquina herself has also received the Women’s Entrepreneurial Challenge Award from the Manhattan Chamber of Commerce and the 2007 FIDEM Award for Entrepreneurial Woman of the Year. Nanimarquina is also an avid member of Care and Fair - an organization of companies committed to eradicating child labour in the carpet industry and support health and education opportunities in India, Nepal and Pakistan. Nanimarquina allocates 1% of the value of their carpet imports to Care and Fair.www.nanimarquina.com
Nanimarquina Melange Rug Designed by:
- Nani Marquina , 2015
Elena Marquina, known as Nani Marquina, was born in Barcelona in 1952. After studying industrial design at the Massana School in Barcelcona, she started working with the architects Sellés-Marquina in 1973. In 1984 she made her first carpets and decided to devote herself to carpet design and set up her company, Nanimarquina, two years later. By 1988 some of her carpet creations were being exported to Germany and Japan. A year later one of her collections was selected for the shop at the Museum of Modern Art in New York.
A superb colorist Marquina finds inspiration not only in nature but also in the challenge of creating something that hasn’t been done before. The designer is also a firm believer that a rug must surprise and captivate but never be too aggressive. The result is her striking depth in materials, ranging from low pile to long strands of felted wool to die-cut rose petals.
Nani Marquina is known internationally for her textiles and rugs, which have been exhibited in New York, Paris, Milan, Berlin, Osaka and Tokyo.